It’s the time of year again where we nominate and elect board members for next year’s PTA. Elections will be May 5. Our bylaws require these positions for us to be a PTA in good standing. Every year, we search out new and upcoming leaders to recruit for PTA leadership. Could that be you? As always we need bilingual volunteers!
The positions we need to fill:
- VP, Membership
- VP, Fundraising
The board also includes two delegates to the Montgomery County Council of PTAs (MCCPTA) and committee chairs as appointed by the board. Complete descriptions are available online, and you can also speak with current board members to find out more.
Some questions and answers:
Won’t it take a lot of time?
Yes, we confess, it is a time commitment, but usually only a matter of hours per month.
- Some work can be done at home on your own schedule.
- There are one or two meetings at night per month.
- It helps to be comfortable with email so everyone can communicate with each other no matter what their schedules are.
- It also can help if you have a flexible daytime schedule but it’s not required.
- Plus as always, we try hard to recruit volunteers for all of our fundraisers and activities so the board members don’t have to do everything themselves! It’s a cliché, but many hands really do make light work.
Don’t I need to have a lot of skills or experience?
Special skills and experience aren’t required. All you need is an interest in your child’s school and a willingness in be involved.
- It helps if you use email regularly and are reasonably comfortable with a computer.
- The MCCPTA provides free training.
- Plus, you can draw upon the know-how and experience of former board members and volunteers who are happy to help.
What’s in it for me?
Do you have fresh ideas or want something to be done differently? Here’s your big chance to make a change.
- Make friends and new connections.
- Learn new skills.
- Understand of school and PTA issues.
- Get involved with your child’s school and make a difference.
If you don’t want to join the board, consider taking on a leadership role for an event (like a fundraiser, Earth Day, or the Book Fair).
Contact Stephanie Diaz, nominating committee chair, if you are interested or have questions, by Thursday, April 23.