It’s the time of year again where we nominate and elect board members for next year’s PTA. Elections will be May 3. Our bylaws require these positions for us to be a PTA. Every year, we search out new and upcoming leaders to recruit for PTA leadership. Could that be you?
The positions we need to fill: President, Treasurer, Secretary, VP for Membership, and VP for Fundraising.
The board also includes two delegates to the Montgomery County Council of PTAs (MCCPTA) and committee chairs as appointed by the board. Complete descriptions are available online, and you can also speak with current board members to find out more.
Won’t it take a lot of time?
Yes, we confess, it is a time commitment, but usually only a matter of hours per month.
- Some work can be done at home on your own schedule.
- There are one or two meetings at night per month.
- It helps to be comfortable with email so everyone can communicate with each other no matter what their schedules are.
- It also can help if you have a flexible daytime schedule but it’s not required.
Don’t I need to have a lot of skills or experience?
All you need is an interest in your child’s school and a willingness to learn and be involved.
- It helps if you use email regularly and are reasonably comfortable with a computer.
- The MCCPTA provides free training.
- Former board members and volunteers will be able to offer advice.
- Bilingual volunteers are needed!
What’s in it for me?
Here’s your big chance to get involved with your child’s school and make a difference.
- Make friends and new connections.
- Learn new skills.
- Have a greater understanding of school and PTA issues.
If you don’t want to join the board, consider taking on a leadership role for an event (like the Fun Run or the Book Fair). We need you! Contact your nominating committee by April 10.